Central Institute of Psychiatry (CIP), Ranchi is a premier institute for mental health in India. It started in 1918 and since then it has been a pioneer in the field of psychiatry. Till independence this hospital was meant exclusively for the treatment of European patients. With a bed capacity of 643, it is spread over an area of 210 acres.CIP has never been a custodial care facility. It has always been an open hospital with a comprehensive bio-psycho-social approach for management of mentally ill patients. Currently the institute functions under the administrative control of Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi, with the objectives of patient care, manpower development and research in the field of mental health. Currently, the Director of the Institute is Dr. Daya Ram.
It was called as European Lunatic Asylum till 1922 when it was named as European Mental Hospital and was put under the control of a Board of Trustees with various participating state governments represented in the Board. This year was also notable for the fact that the hospital got affiliation from the University of London for the Diploma in Psychological Medicine examination. After independence the name of European Mental Hospital was changed to Inter-Provincial Mental Hospital in 1948 and the hospital was opened for all Indians. It was subsequently renamed as Hospital for Mental Diseases in 1952 and in 1954 its administration was taken over by the Government of India. On April 1, 1977 it was raised to the status of an Institute and was renamed as Central Institute of Psychiatry. Keeping pace with the development in mental health, the institute continued to scale new heights and various modern facilities for investigation and management of mental disorders was added.
For Further information, visit http://cipranchi.nic.in/
Last Updated On 06/03/2020